Saturday, July 18, 2009

New, new, new.

Well, I made it to San Diego and had a wonderful time at Friend Day. I then went to Kansas and was unable to find any work which put me in a really hard situation. I knew that if I went back to San Diego I'd have about a week in order to find a job and a place to live, otherwise I would be in too much debt to stay. The other problem was that even if I moved home I still would not have a job or a car. It was very stressful to have no idea what I was supposed to be doing.

The last week of May was the first week of training at Youthfront Camp South where I have been a cook for the previous 4 summers. I asked if my old boss could use any help training the two new cooks and he said he'd love the help. So I got to hang out with my friends at camp and not have to sit around at home. The last day I was there the director and my old boss asked me if there was an opening at camp if I would take it. I had been saying that if the camp offered me a job for the third time I would accept it. So as I left for Colorado to see my sister I had the possibility of spending another summer at South. In the end they hired me to be the assistant cook for six weeks.

During my first week working at camp I received word from a school in Colombia that they wanted me to teach Kindergarten there for the coming school year. I was so excited and relieved to have a real opportunity to serve. I accepted the job and started getting everything together for my visa and travel. So in a few days I will be making my way to San Diego to get the rest of my stuff, to LA to get my visa, then to Houston, Panama City and finally Bogota! I can't wait.

0 comments: