As I have been learning more about the city I have also been learning more about myself.
The "threshold" of poverty for one American under 65 is $10,787. I made about $7,250 this year.
An individual is considered homeless if they are living on the streets, in a car or abandoned building, doubled-up with family or friends, live in a garage, tool shed or other places not meant for habitation or in a homeless shelter. By this definition I was homeless when I was four. My family of 5 lived in my grandparents' guest bedroom sleeping on the floor in sleeping bags.
In 2008-09 a five person family making under $45,880 a year qualify for reduced price lunches; under $32,240 qualify for free lunches. I was on both free and reduced lunches for several years in elementary and middle school.
Friday, February 13, 2009
Experiencing poverty
Posted by Zettie at 1:19 AM
Labels: free lunch, homelessness, poverty
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment